- Able to follow written and/or verbal instructions with minimal supervision
- Must pass a written and skills test on the type of work that he or she will be performing
- Willing to help with maintenance, clean-up, and anything else that requires attention, as directed by the Operations Manager and or Supervisor
- Dependable and shows up for scheduled work shifts
- Willing to wear required PPE and can follow all rules and procedures as outlines by Savage
- Ability to work Holidays and weekends
- Ability to interact with other Savage employees and the customer in a professional manner
- Willing to, on occasion, travel to other sites to assist them in switching their facilities
- Can read, write, and understand English
- Minimum of 1 year experience in the Rail Industry is preferred, but not required
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Switch person will work outdoors every day and as a result will be exposed to the elements
- Must be able to walk long distances, consistently bend, stoop kneel and climb on elevated surfaces
- Switch person must be physically able to do the following:
- Climb on and off railcars and locomotives safely
- Operate railcar hand brakes
- Operate rail switches
- Must have the ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs consistently throughout the course of a shift
- Should also have the ability to use basic hand tools
- Able to work rotating shift schedule and overtime when needed
Savage is an innovative supply-chain solutions company. We are the leading provider of fully integrated systems, designed and operated to solve unique logistics and materials management challenges for industrial companies throughout North America. Each of us at Savage is committed to integrity and delivering reliable, sustainable services in a safe and environmentally responsible manner. We expect our people to be progressive, relentlessly seeking improvement; experiencing opportunities for personal growth by working for a world-class organization and leader in the industry.
We offer competitive benefits that include; medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and opportunities for future growth.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.