The Diesel Mechanic will primarily lead the Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) maintenance efforts for the Savage Trucking Facility in Coushatta, LA and ensure the facility's maintenance work is completed timely, efficiently and safely through preventative maintenance. The Diesel Mechanic will report to the Maintenance Supervisor. Join us today!!
• Perform routine services
• Diagnose problems
• Maintain appropriate records
• Change/adjust brakes, change/mount tires, grease the CMVs, repair/replace lights, check/fill gear boxes, change oil/filter, check/change wheel bearings, change springs, clutch adjustment/replacement
• Understand/repair air brake system
• Understand/repair steering components
• Steam-clean tractor/trailer units and other general cleanup duties such as the shop and grounds area along with the Cleco Lignite unloading system, etc.
• Lead preventative maintenance practices for the facility
• Ensures all work is performed in compliance with regulatory requirements
• Ensures proper safety rules, maintenance and operating procedures
• Identify, procure and maintain critical parts for the facility and system
• Manage spare parts inventory and ensure that necessary amounts of inventory are in stock to reduce any delays or failures
• Class A CDL preferred; Willingess to obtain Class A CDL if not currently holding
• Knowledge of electrical systems
• Ability to perform annual inspections
• Diagnostic ability
• Understanding of brake systems
• Computer skills a plus
• Excellent communication skills: written and spoken
• Effective interfacing with internal leadership, drivers, external vendors and other team members
• Must demonstrate interpersonal skills and understand their role in meeting the major objectives
• Self-starter capable of working independently, in line with company goals, strategies and policies
• Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and carry critical projects to completion
• Must have clean work habits and willing to learn and follow all company guidelines and policies
• Background in planning and scheduling maintenance
• Experience applying safety regulations and written procedures within a refinery or chemical plant
• Certification preferred
• Will be exposed to temperature extremes (both hot and cold) and may have to work in the cold after being wet
• Will have exposure to chemicals and materials including acid wash, solvents, greases and oils
• Must be able to lift up to 60lbs
• Must be able to climb under truck on creeper
• Able and willing to enter confined spaces
• May be required to work 10 or more hours per shift
With more than 70 years’ experience in hundreds of locations across North America and internationally, Savage is a trusted partner for safely moving and managing mission-critical materials with worry-free consistency while creating value for our Customers. Savage specializes in rail, truck and marine transportation, logistics, materials handling and other industrial and environmental services. We Hire Right, Train Right and Treat Right, and strive to provide our Team Members with opportunities to do things they never dreamed possible.
Savage offers competitive benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, a retirement plan, paid time off and opportunities for growth.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.